The Post-College Reality sucks.
It's depicted well in the picture above.
I would gladly start with nothing, instead of starting with debt.
I unintentionally chose to start my adult life with debt, and although I am happy about that most of the time, because I am so grateful for my education, when it comes to bill paying, I am not so happy with my decision. I believe that most recent post-college adults are with me when I say that they are struggling to pay their bills. Even those of us recent grads who are lucky enough to be considered "successful" are having an incredibly difficult time paying everything that we must.
When I began college, our society promised me the "world"... I was promised a high paying job and a successful career, and everything else that came with the American dream. Now I'm a 23 year old post-college adult struggling to make things work as a young, single, apartment living girl in a failed economy with high taxes and complete uncertainty of if and when things will get better. Granted, when our society promised me these wonderful things, I never thought that I would be handed the "world". However, I did think that it would be more attainable. I believed that there would be more opportunities to compete for. I believed that there would be jobs that would allow me a comfortable life while paying off my educational debt. I believed that my educational loan interest rates would stay comparable to what I had originally signed up for. I did not expect that there would be no jobs in my field, that if there are any that the wages would be so low, and that the government educational loans interest rate would double. I never expected any of that, how could I have known? It's frustrating. Especially because I have seen a number of post-college adults do everything RIGHT, however, they are still stuck in the same reality of to many education loans and not enough money to pay for them all.

No comments:
Post a Comment