As a single, twenty-something, recent college graduate, and liver of life, I hate to be the first to make everyone stop and take notice, but it is that time again... Yes, the time where you constantly feel nauseous and just want to throw up because all you hear is wedding bells and wedding talk, and you frequently get those pretty little envelopes that scream, "here is another wedding season, is your wallet prepared?".
As a number of my friends prepare to take the big leap and sell their soul, I can't help but question where I rank.... Yes, what is my friend rating? Am I cool enough to be in the wedding party? Am I even invited to the wedding? If I am, am I at the loser table? You know the one, the one where all the left over, extra, "I don't know what to do with you" people end up. Yes, that is the loser table. During the wedding season, I can't help but take a second to laugh at the changes that people go through. Have you had that friend that you have really stuck your neck out for but they you are conveniently cut from the guest list completely? It cracks me up and it is a bit disappointing, but my wallet thanks them!
While I make is seem like I might not believe in taking that long walk down the aisle, I actually do. And you better believe that on the off chance that I someday get to take a (meaning one) walk down the aisle, I will have a very small wedding and be cutting out people in the same way that I am criticizing them for doing. However, I am giving you fair warning that this is in fact a double standard. I hate double standards, but for this and only this, I will let it slide. Why? because weddings are expensive. Plus, I don't really want to go to all of them I would have to go to assuming that I were actually invited to all of my friend's weddings. Then there is that last issue, the issue of finding a date. While all my friends are running off in a rush to get married, I sometimes go out with a guy that I affectionally like to think of as my "sometimes, almost, sorta, not boyfriend", who refuses to admit that we might actually be dating, or other boys who ask (I can do that, I'm single). So please, enjoy your beautiful engagement rings, your pretty dresses, and your wedding stress. Meanwhile, I will sit at home pretending that I don't know that your wedding is approaching and ignoring that fact that even if I were going, I would literally have to twist a "sometimes, almost, sorta, not boyfriend's" arm into actually making an appearance and bringing light to the idea that I might NOT be single and alone for the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment