Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dubai? Texas? Los Angeles?

Hey hey there.

As many of you know, I was recently offered a job in a city just outside of Dubai.  Well it turns out that I was making plans that were never going to work.  I was offered the job: a great position at a school, with decent pay, full medical benefits, housing, utilities, and board completely taken care of.  It was a great opportunity and it was bound to be a wonderful adventure.

On the day that I was offered the job, I also found out that I was accepted into the Aeronautical Science Program at Letourneau University in Longview, Texas.  It's a great program in a field that I really enjoy, and I'm a candidate for a large scholarship which would make going back to school very realistic.

The principle of the school in Dubai wanted me to leave the states right away because they needed to fill the position.  The school year would end in June and then the University in Texas would began in September.  Everything seemed to be working out perfectly! Well until I realized the problem: the problem is that to be eligible for the scholarship, I needed to attend an interview on February 22nd, which would have been 22 days after I left the country.  I tried rescheduling and visiting Texas on my way to Dubai but that was not an option.

All this to say that I had 2 days to make a very important decision.  Two days to decide my future.

I decided to stay put, right where I am, in the states for now - and I am going to Texas in February.  While I'm there I will tour the University, look for possible places of employment, scout out housing areas, talk to my admissions counselor and financial aid counselor, and attend a scholarship interview.  I am hoping that I will be allowed to skip the whole "second degree thing", and go strait into flight training.  Once I have completed my flight training.

Technically speaking, the MA degree that I want does not exists.  There are several schools that will open the program in the Fall of 2014, and who knows, maybe I'll end up at one of those schools getting a super technical aeronautical science masters degree.  Who knows, but I'm not going to make those plans... not yet anyway.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment